Conventional VS Functional Nutrition
Caring for your health is so much more than just the basics of eating right and exercising. At Kay Spears, we know that the body is a complex collection of organs and systems and even bacterial colonies (the microbiome) that greatly impact each other.
Conventional functional nutritionists and “specialists” are still treating parts of the body separately without taking into account the fact that all these areas greatly impact each other. When you are healthy, they work together like a symphony in perfect harmony – and you have vibrant health. But when one of these systems is off balance, the whole symphony is out of tune! When you need a “tune-up” so to speak, not only do you need to look at areas that aren’t working right… but also that the rest of your body is in balance.
Sadly, most people receive instead medications to treat symptoms associated with a body part that “isn’t working” when in reality, it’s oftentimes a systemic issue that needs to be treated in a completely different way.
In addition, the conventional medical approach also doesn’t consider that each person is born with unique health needs: Based on their genetic factors, the environment they were born into, what kinds of bacteria populate their gut, as well as what they are exposed to as they grow – each person’s body has a very unique health profile which means they need an equally unique healing protocol.
Why Functional Nutrition Is Different
It’s no wonder people go from diet to diet and even certified nutritionist and never find the answers to their illness! Conventional medicine is missing the mark when it comes to effectively treating many chronic illnesses caused by aging, environment and diet, hormonal imbalances, and food sensitivities because they try to treat symptoms with medication. In fact, we find with our clients that while they may share the same symptoms, they frequently suffer from very different imbalances.
That’s why at Kay Spears, we follow a more modern “functional” approach to total-body health and nutrition that incorporates advanced functional lab testing and relies on current nutritional science to help you rebalance and finally heal.
This in-depth functional medicine nutrition approach is the only successful way of treating chronic disorders because most chronic illness have many causes.
Instead of simply addressing different symptoms across separate areas, functional nutrition seeks to treat the underlying root cause – while looking at lifestyle factors such as diet, environment, emotional health, and mindset that usually brings on the illness clients are seeking to heal.
What to Look For In A Functional Nutritionist
- We prioritize quality over quantity. We listen carefully to your individual medical history, go over specialized testing, look at lifestyle factors that are materially contributing to illnesses, and then make a personalized recommendation based on your unique situation.
- Assessment, natural healing, and prevention are prioritized over wait-and-see treatment approaches.
- The most modern and advanced equipment available is used. We believe in the gut-brain connection and have the most advanced Neurofeedback equipment to help heal and train your brain. We also use natural forms of healing like upgrading your diet and healing herbs or supplementation with fewer or no side effects.
- Our clients are taught how to take a more active role in their own health and will learn up-to-date functional nutrition science & lifestyle modifications that can boost their health and overall wellness for a lifetime.
- Instead of relying on being prescribed medications again and again for temporary relief, Functional Nutritionist, Kay Spears, and her team, help you to heal your chronic illnesses holistically and arm you with the modern tools for healthy living.
Kay Spears has helped people heal from life-altering conditions such as:
- Digestive Disorders (GERD, heartburn, IBS, SIBO, Crohn’s, Colitis
- Autoimmune Conditions (IBD, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Hashimoto’s Disease, Celiac’s, Crohn’s, Type-1 Diabetes)
- Hormonal Imbalances (Feeling “tired & wired”, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, PCOS, PMS, Hot Flashes, Painful Periods, Mood Swings)
- Metabolic Syndrome, Obesity & Dyslipidemia
- Energy Issues, Stress & Chronic Pain (Chronic Fatigue, Adrenal Issues, Fibromyalgia etc)
- Cognitive Issues (SCI/MCI, “Brain Fog”, Memory Issues, Alzheimer’s Disease etc)
Take The First Step On Your
Perhaps you have questions you’d like to ask before you make a decision to work with us. We are standing by, happy to answer any questions you have to determine if Kay Spears is right for you.